Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Wallpaper Madness in the Boy's Bathroom


On Sunday, I started what seemed to be a simple task in the boy's bathroom. They had some tacky floral wallpaper that was put up when our house was built in 1971, and I decided that it was time to update - and make it more elegant for the guests who come and use that bathroom as well.

It has been hell.

The dingbats didn't prime the drywall prior to glueing on the wallpaper. But they used plenty of glue. I got a 3' by 4' area half stripped in 24 hours using Dif wallpaper remover and a putty knife. The paper would come off in tiny strips, and I knew I would be there for years if I didn't take drastic measures, so, I finangled a wallpaper steamer under the advice of my neighbor, father and aunt. It made all of the difference. Jean came over with her putty knife and away we went. In five hours the walls were stripped. I still have a bunch of holes where the drywall came off in spots, but no biggie. Have been sanding and spackling holes all morning. I will sand tommorrow and start painting the two doors in the bathroom. I hope to be done by Thursday.

It is gonna be great when I am thru with the walls. The color will be painted a chocolate color, with bright white trim, doors, and cabinet. Hardware will be replaced with a modern pewter along with the light fixtures. I have a stone floor picked out. Towels and accessories will be a bright white.

Here is a before picture..... before we took off the rest of the wallpaper.

3 comments:

maverick said...

Hello,
I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I stumbled across it while I was looking for baby shower centerpiece to compare to some of the baby shower centerpiece I make. If you get a chance, go to www.diapergifts.com and let me know what you think. I will be coming back to vist your blog often. Good Luck!

maverick said...

Hello,
I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I stumbled across it while I was looking for baby shower gift to compare to some of the baby shower gift I make. If you get a chance, go to www.diapergifts.com and let me know what you think. I will be coming back to vist your blog often. Good Luck!

maverick said...

Hello,
Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a diaper cake for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.comdiaper cake, I've heard that is a good place to start.