Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Wallpaper Madness in the Boy's Bathroom
On Sunday, I started what seemed to be a simple task in the boy's bathroom. They had some tacky floral wallpaper that was put up when our house was built in 1971, and I decided that it was time to update - and make it more elegant for the guests who come and use that bathroom as well.
It has been hell.
The dingbats didn't prime the drywall prior to glueing on the wallpaper. But they used plenty of glue. I got a 3' by 4' area half stripped in 24 hours using Dif wallpaper remover and a putty knife. The paper would come off in tiny strips, and I knew I would be there for years if I didn't take drastic measures, so, I finangled a wallpaper steamer under the advice of my neighbor, father and aunt. It made all of the difference. Jean came over with her putty knife and away we went. In five hours the walls were stripped. I still have a bunch of holes where the drywall came off in spots, but no biggie. Have been sanding and spackling holes all morning. I will sand tommorrow and start painting the two doors in the bathroom. I hope to be done by Thursday.
It is gonna be great when I am thru with the walls. The color will be painted a chocolate color, with bright white trim, doors, and cabinet. Hardware will be replaced with a modern pewter along with the light fixtures. I have a stone floor picked out. Towels and accessories will be a bright white.
Here is a before picture..... before we took off the rest of the wallpaper.